Generating the Certificate Signing Request for Microsoft Exchange 2007
At initiate level you need Certificate Signing Request (CSR) before ordering an SSL certificate and its crucial part of SSL certificate issuance from Certificate Authority. Let’s take view on CSR generation process for Microsoft Exchange 2007.
Using below step by step instruction can help you quickly to create Certificate Signing Request (CSR).
1. Click on the “START” option first then move with “All Programs” option, then click on subordinate option Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 and then finally click on Exchange Management Shell
2. Run New-ExchangeCertificate command with appropriate values as per below enlisted formation. We have enlisted sample peace of command which you can use with your appropriate value.
New-ExchangeCertificate -domainname mail.domain.com, domain.com, domain.local, autodiscover.domain.com, server01.domain.com, server01 -Friendlyname domain.com -generaterequest:$true -keysize 2048 -path c:\certificaterequest.txt -privatekeyexportable:$true -subjectname "c=US, o=Domain Inc., cn=server01.domain.com, s=California, l=Mountain View, ou=IT"
Note: Always careful while using “New-ExchangeCertificate” as it can lead to other SSL certificate errors. We have enlisted format of information as sample which you can use same format so it can deliver proper CSR with right information.
- Friendly Name: My Domain Certificate
- Key Size: 2048 as Standard or Higher
- Path: c:\certificaterequest.txt
- Common Name (cn=): secure.domain.com
- Organization (o=): Domain Inc
- Organizational Unit (ou=): Web Security Department
- City/Locality (l=): Mountain View
- State/Province (s=): California
- Country/Region (c=): US
The above step was the last step in Certificate Signing Request for Microsoft Exchange 2007. Now, you can order SSL certificate from a Certificate Authority. In case of SAN or UCC Certificate that it’s not available from every Certificate Authority, you can choose the available option from Comparison of SAN Certificate or UCC Certificate from different brands or you can go through individual of SAN or UCC certificate from our SAN or UCC Certificates product page.
Once you done with ordering an SSL certificate using new Certificate Signing Request, then Certificate Authority will valid your information and email you new Certificate file.
Let’s Move to Installation Process
Before commencing of installation process, you need to copy and store certificate file which you have received from Certificate Authority in your machine somewhere.
1. One more time, Click on “START” option and then go with “All Programs” and then click Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 and click on Exchange Management Shell.
2. Now, Run the Import-ExchangeCertificate command as per below example and it’s advisable that exclude number of services which are not being used.
Import-ExchangeCertificate -path c:\domain.d3c | Enable-ExchangeCertificate -Services IMAP, POP, UM, IIS, SMTP
3. Once you run the command of Import-ExchangeCertificate and you won’t get any error then your certificate has been installed successfully on Microsoft Exchange Server 2007. However, If you want to verify the number of services which are being enabled after installation then you should run Get-ExchangeCertificate command, so you can see the number of services which are being enabled after the installation of certificate.
4. However, if you see anyone services wasn’t enabled proper way such as (S=SMTP, I=IMAP, P=POP, U=Unified Messaging, W=Web/IIS), then you should run command Enabled-ExchangeCertificate command as per below formation;
Enable-ExchangeCertificate -Services IMAP, POP, UM, IIS, SMTP -thumbprint 896B74B25F7EBF330C93E56DA2A76CFC6A7
5. Once you run Enable-ExchangeCertificate command then you can use one more time Get-ExchangeCertificate command to verify the list of services are being enabled properly or not.
We are also glad to reveal here our new blog post regarding installing an ssl certificate in microsoft exchange server 2010 and certainly, it will help you if you wish to upgrade your server.
Now, It’s easy and quick to check your certificate installation process, whether it’s done right or wrong, we have developed one click SSL certificate installation checker tool to help you if you would have any trouble while installation of certificate. Additionally, we enlist here essential Microsoft Technet resources to have the perfect an SSL certificate installation on Microsoft Exchange Server 2007.